Sunday, August 5, 2007

State of Denali

Last night my fellow bureaucrat and I finalized our itinerary. We will meet in Anchorage, bus up to Denali, hike into the woods and if all goes according to plan hike out...

Given the imminent departure we opted to sole source most of our supplies. We purchased a bear can from REI and we procured our food stuffs Saturday evening at the local Whole Foods. We will subsist primarily on nuts, dried fruits and rice. Although we did purchase some dark chocolate, whiskey, and vodka - all hiking essentials. Vodka being the recommended analgesic when a bear begins nibbling on one's extremities.

I've conducted alot of research over the past several days. Looking at weather, mosquitos, terrain, etc. Turns out Alaska houses alot of bears... frequent visitors on Colbert's threatdown. Over the next several days I will persue Bearly Legal and the second amendment of our constitution. I'm still debating whether watching/reading Clan of the Cave Bear will help prepare me.

My traveling companion has the good fortune of traveling to Homer before our odyssey begins. I'm hoping his research bears fruit as well.

5 comments:

100YearsOfTrash said...

love the bureaucrat of the day feature...now that's something i can really sink my teeth into

Soulless Bureaucrat said...

One day I hope to have my grill plastered up on the internet.

Kevin Brown said...

ha! do we still have the right to arm bears?

Soulless Bureaucrat said...

If we armed bears can you imagine the grizzly crime scene photos we would see?

100YearsOfTrash said...

"a holder of little authority in which he delights, as a boy delights in possessing a vicious dog."